Wednesday, September 19, 2007

AN ACHIEVEMENT!

*Warning! May contain pictures that are disturbing to some*

Today marks a history in my life.
For the 1st time, I have donated blood. Actually, I have always wanted to do so but I never had the chance to do it.

UMMC set up a "donation centre" in uni today. As soon as I finished class, I went to the Lobby, I told myself "I AM GOING TO DONATE BLOOD TODAY!"

Then comes all sorts of thoughts that makes you not wanting to do so. These arethings that happened to me before I went for it.

1. My class ended at 10.00a.m. and the next class is at 2.00p.m. I thought of going home to rest abit before going for the next class.
2. My handphone battery died on me. I had no choice but to go home and charge it.
3. I met Yatz. Then he was sharing with me his experiences of donating blood. Asked him to join me but he didn't have enough sleep the night before.

This is the story he shared to me. He organised a blood donation drive in high school before. The 1st time he donated blood, after everything was done, the moment he stood up from the chair, he almost went black out. He then rested for awhile on the chair, the 2nd time he stood up from the chair, he had that feeling again. In the end, he decided to sleep on the chair for an hour or so.
Then another story which is about a girl in his school as well. She donated, did all the numbers and again, when she stood up from the chair she blacked out and fell! Everyone rushed to her aid, she woke up not knowing what happened to her. She continued to sit on the chair and rested. The 2nd time she stood up, again she blacked out and fell! Then they asked her to lie down on the chair/bed and rest for a longer time. In the end, she was alright.


Before giving out blood, you will have to sign a form, basically your particulars and some general health question. Then blood pressure is taken determine whether you have high blood pressure or low blood pressure. If either of the 2 symptoms occurs, you are not eligible to donate blood. HERE are some other rules and regulations that has to be followed before you can actually give out blood.
Thenyour finger is pricked and a blood test is done to determine your blood group. For me, I belong to the 'B' group.

And finally, you will be seated on the chair/bed and the STORY begins.




Lying on the chair, the nurse is looking for the vein to "cucuk"

The nurse poking a hole on my arm to insert a larger bore needle to draw blood out

This is the size of the needle that is used to draw out blood *Picture courtesy of Wikipedia*

The needle already inside, blood is being drawn out



And FINALLY! I'm DONE. I've just lost 450ml of blood.

Looking sad as I've just lost 450ml of blood

On another note, looking happy as I know, this will in turn, save a life!



This whole ordeal lasted about 15 mins or so. Surprisingly, it took me less than 5 minutes to fill up that 450ml of blood. I was a bit dumbfounded as the previous guy took almost 15 minutes to fill up the same amount. Anyway, the nurse said that the vein was big. Hence, better flow. Rested about 10 minutes on the chair before going for a drink. AFter donating, they provided a cup of Milo and a Blueberry muffin. Nice! Thanks!

What an experience! I'm happy that I have donated and I don't mind donating blood again! Have to wait 3 months! And I'll be up for it again! Anyone wants to join me?

*All photos above are taken using my N93 and are taken by Yatz*

Till then, take care, God bless!

1 comment:

TheJessicat said...

OOOHHHHH MYYY GOODD I JSUT SCROLLED THRU THE PICS. I DARENT LOOK FOR A LONG TIME!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin